|REGISTER||PROGRAM||SPEAKERS||AWARDS||HOTEL & AIR TRAVEL||EDMONTON||SPONSORS||TRADE SHOW||ARCHIVES|
Join us in Edmonton for the 2016 National Conference!
Discover innovative business strategies, practical ideas, and creative ways to serve and connect with your community, at the 2016 National Conference in Edmonton, Alberta. Co-hosted by Newspapers Canada, the Alberta Weekly Newspapers Association (AWNA) and the Association de la presse francophone (APF), this jam-packed weekend takes place May 27-28, at the Westin Edmonton Hotel.
A pre-conference welcome reception kicks off the event on Thursday night, launching into the National Conference on Friday, May 27—a full day of idea-sharing and inspiration from over a dozen industry leaders and experts. In the evening, recognize the industry's best and brightest with galas celebrating the AWNA Better Newspaper Awards, APF's Gala des Prix d'excellence, and the National Newspaper Awards. Then take advantage of more networking and learning opportunities at the AWNA Convention on Saturday, May 28.
The National Conference is the Canadian newspaper industry’s largest annual gathering, attracting hundreds of top-level newspaper representatives including publishers, corporate executives, editors-in-chief, advertising and marketing directors, circulation directors and heads of digital and multimedia. Industry suppliers participating as sponsors and trade show exhibitors will have access to the decision-makers from hundreds of daily and community newspapers.
For more information, please contact Tina Ongkeko, Managing Director, Member Services, at email@example.com.
Registration for this event is now open.
If you have any questions, please contact Tina Ongkeko, Managing Director, Member Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2016 National Conference on Friday, May 27, promises an exciting experience full of great ideas for newspapers of all shapes and sizes. Visit this page often for the latest program updates and speaker announcements. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE PROGRAM SCHEDULE >
The 2016 National Conference is all about sharing ideas, and we're looking to pack Friday, May 27, with fresh, new ideas for newspaper delegates to take home. If you've got a solution to an age-old problem, best practices for the newsroom, a success story, or any other idea that is practical, innovative, inspiring, and/or money-making, tell us about it.
The catch? Say everything that needs to be said in 7 minutes. What's in it for you? A free day pass and a bucketful of ideas to take home. Download the Call for Speakers application guide and send in your ideas today!
40e Gala des Prix d’excellence de l’APF
Friday, May 27 - 6:30-10:00 PM
La Cité francophone, 8627 rue Marie-Anne-Gaboury (91 St.), Edmonton (Alberta) T6C 3N1
The APF Gala is a national event that recognizes the accomplishments of the minority Francophone printed media craftspeople in Canada. Thirteen awards will be bestowed by the APF in the presence of a number of guests of honour during a unique evening that also includes a cocktail reception, banquet and music. During this gala, the APF will have the honour to welcome French editors, our partners and political personalities.
- Per person - Earlybird (until May 1): $125 + tax ($131.25)
- Per person - Regular (after May 1): $150 + tax ($157.50)
- Per person – Francophone Non-profit organization (NPO) : $100 + tax ($105.26)
25% of the ticket price will help to fund the Fondation Donatien-Frémont. This Foundation helps Francophone students do an internship in the APF’s member newspapers as part of their studies in journalism, communications or graphic design.
*Tickets are available in limited quantities and are non-refundable. Tickets must be paid for prior to the event.
For more information, contact:
HOTEL & AIR TRAVEL
The 2016 National Conference will be held at the Westin Edmonton Hotel located at the heart of downtown Edmonton. A block of rooms has been set aside at the Westin Edmonton from May 21 to 29 for delegates attending the National Conference or awards galas at a special group rate of $199/night, single/double accommodation in a traditional guest room.
Reserve online or call 1-888-627-8530, mentioning the group name “Newspapers Canada 2016”. Reservations must be made by May 3 in order to receive the special group rate.
FLY WITH WESTJET
WestJet is the official airline partner of the 2016 National Conference. WestJet and Newspapers Canada are pleased to offer all conference and awards gala delegates a 10% discount to make getting to Edmonton a little more affordable. The discount is valid across WestJet’s extensive network for flights in to and out of Edmonton. To book reservations using this coupon code, please visit www.westjet.com. Click here for complete details.
EXPLORE EDMONTON with free WALKING AND BIKE TOURS before and after the Conference
Edmonton is excited to show itself off to you. If you haven’t visited before, or haven’t been here for a while, you are in for a surprise. On Thursday, May 26 (3:00 – 4:30 PM), you have a choice of three tours:
- Arts/Cultural walking tour - Join Winspear Centre’s executive director, Annemarie Petrov, for an informative and engaging insiders’ tour of Edmonton’s amazing downtown cultural facilities – Winspear Centre, Citadel Theatre, Art Gallery of Alberta, Churchill Square and more! (Max. 20 people)
- River Valley Cycle Tour - Explore Canada’s largest urban park with Journal columnist Nick Lees and Jason Stanton of The Running Room. With more than 160 kilometres of maintained pathways and 20 major parks, the valley is a natural wonder. Lees and Stanton promise to make this Edmonton adventure fun and easy. Bikes, helmets and breath-taking landscapes provided. (Max. 12 people)
- Arena and Ice District Tour - Canada’s largest mixed-use sports and entertainment district is taking shape in the heart of Edmonton. Check out this ambitious multi-year transformation with executives of the Oilers Entertainment Group giving an exclusive sneak peek of our soon-to-be-open brand-new arena, Rogers Place. (Max. 12 people)
A welcoming Wine Reception sponsored by Edmonton Tourism will follow the Thursday, May 26, tours from 4:30 – 5:00 PM.
Pre-registration for these tours is highly recommended due to small group size. Contact Lauraine Woods at email@example.com to register.
For those staying on through Saturday, there are two more tours:
- Culinary Market Tour - Edmonton Journal Food and Feature Writer Liane Faulder takes you on a culinary tour of the city’s popular 104th Street Farmer’s Market. The city’s food landscape is continually evolving and expanding — let your tastebuds experience what all the excitement is about. Saturday, May 28, 9:00 - 10:30 AM, (Max. 20 people)
- Old Strathcona Shopping District - Explore one of Edmonton’s iconic shopping districts, Old Strathcona. With over 600 businesses, there is a good chance you will find something amazing. To help you pick out the hidden gems, one of our Edmonton Ambassadors will tag along to show you the ropes. Don’t worry about transportation: take a Pogo car there, park it, and take a new Pogo car back. Saturday, May 28, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. (Max. 12 people)
DINING NOTE: The Westin has a full-service restaurant, but for those who want to check out a fun, casual spot nearby for breakfast or lunch, the Kids in the Hall Bistro is across Churchill Square from the Westin, offering great food at great prices. Click here for their story.
Why is Edmonton different?
There are theories. Maybe it’s our northern home, where for years we’ve learned to make our own fun. Perhaps it’s our legacy of entrepreneurs dreaming up oddities: the continent’s first, biggest and wildest Fringe theatre festival and a shopping mall that at one time had more submarines than the Canadian navy. Edmontonians have always been unusually keen to try, and build, something new.
Edmonton is a big city with small town values; a vibrant urban centre in the heart of wilderness. From close encounters with free roaming bison to surfing indoors to taking your taste buds on a journey to some of the hottest craft beer taprooms, hyper-local bistros and indie bakeries in Canada, you’ll find there’s a uniqueness to how Edmontonians do ordinary things.
One thing’s for sure – if you’re looking for an unforgettable, original experience, you’ll find it here. Peruse our list of activities and poke around ExploreEdmonton.com for all the proof you need.
Looking to promote your brand and reach the decision-makers in the Canadian newspaper industry? The national conference is the best place to reach out to industry professionals, raise your company profile and generate new business.
Align your brand with a conference event and give delegates an experience they won't soon forget. Participate as a vendor in the Trade Show--an opportunity well-suited for industry suppliers.
Download the sponsorship information kit here. To discuss how we can help you creatively achieve your marketing goals, please contact MeLing Johnston, Manager, Sponsorship Sales, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRADE SHOW EXHIBITORS
**EARLYBIRD BOOKING DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MARCH 21, 2016!**
Secure your spot on the show floor at Canada’s largest newspaper industry event and capitalize on this invaluable face-to-face marketing opportunity. The national conference and trade show offer vendors the opportunity to engage with publishers and senior personnel looking to ensure they are keeping up with technology, providing the best tools and resources to their team, and getting best quality products and cost-effective services to get the news into the hands of their readers.
Download the Trade Show information package here. To learn more about sponsorship, advertising and exhibitor opportunities at Canada's national newspaper conference, please contact MeLing Johnston, Manager, Sponsorship Sales at email@example.com.